Mycroft Cake with cream and strawberries— Made with Cara McGee’s Mycroft tea
Recipe for tea-infused butter (from www.cupcakeproject.com/2010/05/baking-with-tea-how-to-get-flavor-of.html):
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter until just liquid.
- Add the tea leaves.
- Continue heating the mixture for about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for another 5 minutes or until the butter is discernibly tinted by the tea leaves.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve, pressing hard on the tea leaves and then discarding them. This is the part where you will undoubtedly end up with some butter that you can’t get off of the leaves. I encourage you to press as hard as you can, but not to obsess about lost butter - it’s for a good cause.
- Let the butter come to room temperature and then use it as you would regular butter in your baked goods.
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter (use tea-infused butter)
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease pan(s). In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into pan(s) and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cool